From: Jim Bell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2000 1:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TUTOR ASSERTIVENESS

The philosophical basis for peer tutoring is that the student-tutee and
student-tutor are peers (see Bruffee). Thus requiring tutors to be assertive
runs somewhat against the fundamentals of the method. Similarly, when I
asked my tutors what role they played, they said "Friend." Again, while
being assertive with friends is certainly possible, tutors may feel it moves
them away from their preferred "friend" role and toward the unwanted
"teacher" role (read: authority figure). Assertiveness training for tutors
is an intriguing idea, but it would have to be thorough to work.

Jim Bell
Coordinator, Learning Skills Centre
University of Northern BC
3333 University Way