I work for a small school that collects midterm reports and then distributes
the deficiencies to the students and advisors.  Usually when the students
receive the message, there are only 6-5 weeks left in the semester.  Students
can still withdraw from courses and a large number do so at that time.  We
are trying to put into place an earlier warning based strictly on attendance
at the five week mark.
        My question for other members of this list - is there any information
showing a correlation between early warnings on grades and retention?  Are
there other warning systems that work differently? better?

        I also teach General Studies classes and I emphasize that being aware
of your grade is part of your job as a student.  If your grades are ok, you
probably do not have to change your study habits...however it they are not
ok, well "don't expect different results from the same behavior."  When I
poll my classes, many of the students have no idea of their current standing
in any given class.

Do other developmental educators see this as a problem for students?

Thank you for your time.