                From:   Della Colantone [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
                Sent:   Wednesday, March 22, 2000 1:19 PM
                To:     [log in to unmask]
                Subject:        Re: midterm report system

                I work for a small school that collects midterm reports and
then distributes
                the deficiencies to the students and advisors.  Usually when
the students
                receive the message, there are only 6-5 weeks left in the
semester.  Students
                can still withdraw from courses and a large number do so at
that time.  We
                are trying to put into place an earlier warning based
strictly on attendance
                at the five week mark.
                        My question for other members of this list - is
there any information
                showing a correlation between early warnings on grades and
retention?  Are
                there other warning systems that work differently? better?

                        I also teach General Studies classes and I emphasize
that being aware
                of your grade is part of your job as a student.  If your
grades are ok, you
                probably do not have to change your study habits...however
it they are not
                ok, well "don't expect different results from the same
behavior."  When I
                poll my classes, many of the students have no idea of their
current standing
                in any given class.

                Do other developmental educators see this as a problem for
students?

                Thank you for your time.