        From:   Jon Steingass [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
        Sent:   Tuesday, March 28, 2000 7:48 AM
        To:     [log in to unmask]
        Subject:        Summer Developmental Courses

        Our Mathematics Department has scheduled a 3 week intermediate
algebra
        developmental math course in a summer mini-session. The course meets
        five days per week for a lecture from 9 to 11:30 and a lab (small
group
        study and tutoring led by the instructor) from noon to 2:30.  Is
this
        practical?  Our Provost can't imagine developmental students
succeeding
        in such a short time despite that students are immersed in this one
        class.

        Does anyone have any similar experience with summer mini-courses?  I
do
        not recall reading anything in the literature to either substantiate
or
        refute the Provost's concerns.

        Jon Steingass
        University of Texas Brownsville/Texas Southmost College