We offer our developmental math classes during two summer sessions, each
five weeks long, with classes meeting two hours every day.  We have found
that the students who are successful are the ones who only need a content
refresher.  Students who struggle with math, have math anxiety, were weak in
their high school math programs, etc., are usually not successful in a
compressed situation.

I stress to students who want to "get it over with" during the summer that
they have no time between classes to do anything but absorb, practice, and
study.   It is certainly not the place for any student who is learning
algebra for the first time, such as older students returning to college or
students who were not required to have algebra for high-school graduation.
This is not a sizeable proportion of our group, however.

* Stefanie H. Hunt                                   Towson University
* Assistant Director                                    8000 York Road
* Office of Developmental Education     Towson, MD 21252
* [log in to unmask]                                   410-830-4027