                From:   Rochelle Butler [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
                Sent:   Wednesday, March 29, 2000 8:59 AM
                To:     [log in to unmask]
                Subject:        Writing Software

                Good Morning!
                We are looking into providing a writing center as an
extension of Learning
                Center services at our college.  Any advice or things I
should watch out
                for?
                I met with the English Department faculty yesterday and they
are very
                excited about the possibility of a writing center.  They
asked if it were
                possible to have some grammar practice software in place in
the writing
                center.  They envision sending students to the writing
center for extra
                grammar practice and drill.  The software would be able to
give students
                some exercises and then explain to the student why the
answer they picked
                was wrong or right.  The software would then grade the work
and I would be
                able to send the results to the professors.  (As you can
see, our college is
                very conservative in its writing curriculum.  I see the
writing center as a
                place where students can get help actually writing their
papers also
                (smile!))
                Anyway, are any of you aware of a good grammar software
program to meet our
                needs?  I did check the listserve archives and did not find
anything yet.
                Thanks in advance for your help!
                Rochelle