Hello Colleagues,
        At Central College in Pella, Iowa, we find the SI
program to be much more cost effective than our general
tutorial program.
        We computed the cost for each program two ways.
The first way was to total the amounts we paid SI leaders/
general tutors and then divided this by the number of students
each program served.  In this way we could compute
the cost/student for each program.  For SI, the
cost was $15.97; for the general tutorial program,
the cost came to $18.77/student.
        The second way we figured cost was to divide
the total amount we paid SI leaders/general tutors
and then divided this sum by the number of contact
hours each program generated.  For the SI program,
the cost/contact hour was $3.15; for the general
tutoring program, the cost was $3.32.
        These figures apply to our data for Fall, 1999
only.  We will continue to keep track of these.
        We figure that general tutoring is more expensive
because we operate a walk-in center and sometimes tutors
do not have a student to work with.
        Any more questions?  Contact me and I'll get
back to you!  Take care.

Linda Blatt, Director
Center for Academic Excellence
Central College