Last summer the department of Academic Support Services at Clarion Univ. of
Pa was moved to the basement of a residence hall on the perimeter of
campus.  This is a "temporary move" they say, at least 5yrs.  The result as
feared, walk-in clients for the learning center and to visit with program
staff has dropped off to practically nil.  Use of the learning center has
declined (we were in a two year growth spurt)-visits by 23%, number of
clients by 15%. If it were not for the residents of the hall using our
Center as the dorm's computer lab our numbers drop even more-26% clients,
33% visits.  Use of the center by motive, from 36% computer use to 55%
since the move.  What does this tell you?
At 03:08 PM 03/03/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Lrnasstrs
>   Our academic dean has found what he hopes will be our new home -- in
>a former nursing lab in the basement of the Academic Center --no natural
>lighting -- a large, open space with a tile floor and concrete block
>walls..
>  I need to convince him that putting us down there will be detrimental
>to the program, that sending us to the basement reflects an attitude
>that we are not valued.  Can any one help me out on this?  Is there any
>research to support my argument?
>   My address is below so you can reply off list.
>   Thanks in advance for your help!
>  Jane Keller
>Asst. Director of the Academic Resource Center
>Lycoming College
>Williamsport, PA 17701
>Phone: 570 321-4392

Dr. Lou Tripodi, Chair