I failed to mention that we have an Intensive English program.  Student with
a TOEFL score under 550 take different reading and writing exams than the
rest of the freshmen.  For writing placement they write an essay about
themselves.  The IE faculty administer and evaluate the tests for English
proficiency.

The articles we use for writing prompts at Marymount are one page opinion
essays.  The first year the article had to do with giving false hope through
advertising.  This year the article was about the educational value of
television.  I'll need to double check the readability level.

Samantha Winn