I have table signs around my learning center that say things like "Don't
suffer in silence - ASK US" and similar messages.  On the back of those
signs is a schedule showing the name of the tutors for specific hours so
students always know for whom they are looking.  Finally, the tutors wear
bright yellow name tags for Math Lab tutor, Writing Center tutor, and
Computer Lab tutor.  Also, I've observed students walking through
nonchalantly a couple of time to build up their comfort level before asking
a tutor to work with them and certainly understand that.  Believe me, I
watched people use the Stairmaster and Elliptical Runner a few times before
trying them!
Debbie Carley