I just wish that the "Math Education" people, who
ultimately make the decisions on how best to teach
pre-college students, would listen to
"Mathematicians" who know what level of math
understanding is necessary for students to succeed
in math, science, and engineering degrees.  Yes
students need to do some memorization, know how to
manipulate formula (which really means they need
to know how to use algebra).

The claim that the "drill and kill" method doesn't
work is weak.  It doesn't work for some, but it
worked far better for more students than the
current system which relies heavily on calculators
and concepts.  Learning math takes work, you just
can't remove that requirement.

Remember this when the quality of your cars,
buildings, and bridges are falling apart in five
to ten years.

--
Craig Andres
Director, Study Abroad and Tutor Program

email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (810)-762-9642
Fax: (810)-762-9505

"We must look forward to the future as that is
where most of us will be spending the rest of our
lives."  Charles Kettering.