Hi Everyone,
Here is a compiled list of responses I got to my query about tutor
library resources.  Hope this is helpful and thanks to all of you who
responded.
Jessica

P.S.  I tried to post this yesterday but it did not seem to work.

_____________________________________
MacDonald, Ross B. The Master Tutor: A Guidebook for More Effective
Tutoring. Cambridge Stratford Study Skills Institute, 1995.
800-466-2232 to order (1-29 @ 19.95 ea, 30+ @ 12.95 ea.)

____________________________________

TALKING ABOUT WRITING:  A GUIDE FOR TUTOR & TEACHER CONFERENCES
by Beverly Lyon Clark
1985, University of Michigan Press
ISBN:  0472080628

____________________________________

When I first began working as a professional writing tutor for
Student Support Services (A TRIO program) some years ago, I found
this book very helpful.  So did the students whom we trained as peer
writing tutors. As I recall, the book includes actual dialogues from
writing tutoring conferences.

____________________________________

We recently purchased the videos Ken Gattis promotes on the list.  They
are the best I have seen and the tutors
are responding well to them.  On my "to do list" for spring break is the

task to create an outline to match the
videos so they can be used for independent training.
They cost $375.00 for the set.
A demo can be viewed at the following website:
http://www.ncsu.edu/undergrad_affairs/videoad2.html

I got my tutor library started by contacting faculty in the departments
that most of our tutoring is for (math, spanish, psych, and more) and
asking them to donate books they didn't want anymore.  Most faculty have

stacks of texts sent to them for consideration, comp copies, duplicate
copies, etc.  Usually it's helpful to have books below the level of the
classes, for tutors to help students who don't have the prerequisites
for their course.

We also purchased a few books:  a Websters dictionary, a French/English
dictionary, Spanish/English dictionary, "Keys for Writers" (the style
manual used in our English classes), and a Chemistry dictionary.  We
keep those on a "reference" shelf, so they're not removed from the lab.

The Master Tutor by Ross McDonald

There'a a tutor trainer's book through the College Reading and Learning
Association

National Tutoring Association also has a similar book I believe

College and Career Success for Students with Learning Disabilities by
Roslyn Dolber

Becoming a Master Student by David Ellis (College Survival, Inc.)

______________________________________

>Here's a list of tutor training materials I compiled last year. Would
>appreciate your suggestions for additions.
>
>Martha Maxwell
>
>                MAXWELL'S TUTOR TRAINING BIBLIOGRAPHY
>(Note: Write me for specific materials for ESL Students
>>
>>TUTOR MANUALS
>>For Writing Tutors;
>>>
>> Clark, B.L. (1988). "Talking about writing.:A guide for tutor and
teacher
>>conference. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
>>
>> Clark, Irene L. (1985). "Writing in the Center:Tutoring in a writing
>>center setting. 2nd ed. Dubuque, IA:Kendall-Hunt.
>>
>> Myer, E. & Smith, L.Z. (1987). "The Practical Tutor." New York:
Oxford
>>University Press.
>>
>> Ryan, Leigh. (1994)."The Bedford Guide for Writing Tutors."
>>Boston:Bedford.
>>
>>"The St. Martin's Guide for Writing Tutors " and " The St. Martin's
>>Sourcebook for writing tutors", St. Martins Press, , 257 Park Ave.
>>South, NYC, NY 10010/  Phone 1-800-221-7945
>>
>                >TUTOR MANUALS (For general tutoring)
>> Capossela, Toni-Lee.  "Harcourt Brace Guide to Peer Tutoring." Fort
>Worth:Harcourt Brace, 1998. Soft cover- 252
>pp. Order from Harcourt Brace College Publishers, Sea Harbor Dr.,
Orlando,
>FL 32887-6777  Phone 1-800-782-
>4479
>
>>MacDonald, Ross. (1994). "The Master Tutor."  Cambridge
>>Stratford Study Skills Institute. 8560 Main St.,
>>Williamsville, NY 14221. Phone: 1-(800) 466-2232. (For tutoring in any

>subject.)
>>       .NOTE;Cambridge Stratford also sells  a self-evaluation test
for
>tutors
>        >based on MacDonald's tutoring cycle  called TeSAT
>>
>> Maxwell, M. (Ed.), (1994), "When Tutor Meets Student." Ann Arbor:
>>University of Michigan Press.  (Stories by 51 writing tutors
>>about their tutoring experiences plus a complete description of a
tutoring
>>writing for credit course.)
>>
>>Myers, L. (1990). Becoming an effective tutor. Los Altos, CA: Crisp.
>>
>>       Other training Materials:
>>Foster, Elizabeth S. (1983)  Tutoring: Learning by Helping.
>>                Educational Media Corporation.
>>                        THERE IS A NEWER EDITION
>>                Tends to focus on issues most important to K-12
tutoring
>>                programs, yet there are still same great nuggets here
and
>>                there; much of the material is useful at the college
>level,
>>                and what isn't can be easily adapted.  Would be good,
>>                would think, in a tutoring course housed in an
education
>>                department, since majors could make it relevant to
their
>>                future teaching positions as well as to their current
>>                tutor training.
>>Silberman, M. (1990). Active Training: A Handbook of Techniques,
Designs,
>>Case Examples and Tips. New York Lexington Books.
>>
>>Karen G. Smith at Rutgers  <[log in to unmask] calls Silberman's
book
>- "An excellent resource for developing exercises and activities (and
ice
>breakers)  It is published by Lexington >Books, an imprint of
Macmillan.
>The ISBN is 0-669-24262-4.  Although his >purpose with this book is
beyond
>the classroom to the trainers out there in >the corporate world, he has

>lots of good information that is certainly >relevent for the college
and
>university environment."
>>
>>Karen added that "Silberman was brought to Rutgers by our Teaching
>>Excellence Center to lead workshops for faculty on fostering active
>learning in the classroom, and he >received rave reviews!  Table of
>contents includes:
>>        assessing the training group
>>        developing active training objectives
>>        creating opening exercises
>>        finding alternative methods to lecturing
>>        using experiential learning approaches
>>        designing active training activities
>>        sequencing active training activities
>>        giving presentations and leading discussions
>>        facilitating structured activities, etc.
>>EVALUATING TUTORING
>>
>> M. Maxwell (4th ed. 1998) , "Evaluating Peer Tutoring>"
>Describes stratefies for designing a tutor evaluation program and
provides
>about 30 pp. of  30 pages of instruments, questionnaires, etc. that
folks
>use to measure the effectiveness of their tutors and the tutees'
>experience.
> ($11 postpaid.) Order from M. Maxwell, Apt. 322, 10450 Lottsford Rd.,
>Mitchellville, Md. 20721.  PHone 301-927-7574.
>evaluations, etc.
>>
> TeSAT- Cambridge Stratford Study Skills Institute. 8560 Main St.,
>>Williamsville, NY 14221. Phone: 1-(800) 466-2232. sells a
self-evaluation
>test for tutors  based on Ross  MacDonald's tutoring cycle  called
TeSAT -
>but it can be used with any tutoring session.
>>

>                CREDIT-BASED PEER TUTORING
>>
>>Treuer, Paul.  Paul Treuer's book  "Credit-Based Peer
>>Tutor: A Centralized Peer Tutoring Program" can be
>>purchased by mail. Send a check for $20.00 made out to the University
of
>>Minnesota-Duluth  to:
>>        Paul Treuer
>>        Campus Center 40
>>        University of Minnesota--Duluth
>>        10 University Drive
>>        Duluth, Minnesota 55812-2496
>>
>>This is an  excellen book and well worth the money. Those who are
>>planning tutor-for-credit courses will find lots of information to
>>justify their proposal including figures that indicate cost-
effectiveness
>>(current budget and student use figures) and arguments for
>>justifying the course to faculty committees. Those who currently have
>>credit courses will find ideas for improving their courses in the
>>syllabi for the UM-D course and the practicum, criteria for evaluating

and
>>grading students, grading contracts for students-->delineating what is

>required for graded A
>through F. Also there are many >assignments including specifics for
>developing a
>>professional tutoring portfolio, reflective papers on the
>tutoring>experience, developing one's personal philosophy of tutoring,
>tutoring ethics and examples of students' work. In addition to the
course
>information, and an overview and history of the UM-D tutoring program,
the
>book has sections on Tutor Center Management and Internet Tutoring
>Applications (the Homework Hotline,OWL, etc.) The book  also briefly
>describes the  UM-D tutoring facilities and arrangements.)
>
>MORE TUTORING FOR CREDIT INFO:
>>ALSO there is a complete syllabus and description of a tutor for
credit
>>course for writing tutors in the Appendix of  the   M. Maxwell
>>(Ed.)  WHEN TUTOR MEETS STUDENT. Published by the University of Mich.
>>Press, 1994.  U. M. Press, POBox  1104, Ann Arbor MI 48106 phone
>313-763-0163  ($16.95 plus
>$3.50 postage &>handling- there's also a hardback edition.)   The book
>contains stories by
>Berkeley writing  tutors about some of their golden and some of
>their more dreadful experiences tutoring estudents(like "The Session
from
>Hell)") and should
>be very useful and encouraging for tutors in
>any field.
>

>STUDY SKILLS FOR TUTORS
>>  Crawford, June. Ten Tips for Academic Success. Published by the
>Cambridge
>>Stratford Study Skills Institute. 8560 Main St.,
>>Williamsville, NY 14221. Phone: 1-(800) 466-2232. This is an easy way
>>teach tutors study skills that can also be used with groups
>>of students in short courses who want to improve their skills.b
>>
>>TUTOR TRAINING VIDEOTAPE The Tutor's Guide. 14 fifteen-minute video
>>programs for training tutors plus a handbook. Produced
>>by the UCLA Office of Instructional Development. Order from : GPN,
P.O.
>Box
>>80669, Lincoln NE 68501-0669/ Phone
>>1-(800)-228-4630/
>>  (Topics include: Introduction to tutoring - helping students help
>>themselves; three strategies for initiating the first session,
>developing
>a tutorial plan,
>diagnosis and the Socratic method, diagnosis >through observation,
tutoring
>learning skills,
>managing >group tutorials, the tutor as counselor, bridging cultural
gaps,
>tutoring
>>physical science, tutoring social sciences, tutoring humanities,
>>tutoring the writing process, and tutoring ESL. ). Some tutor trainers

>>swear by these tapes and find them very useful when new tutors are
>>hired during the semester; others complain that the hair styles and
>>clothing are dated, etc. and prefer to have their tutors make their
own
>>videotapes.
>>
>>TUTORING STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
>>  (Order the following from: AHEAD  Association on Higher Education
and
>>Disability, P O Box 21192, Columbus, Ohio 43221-0192
>>(Phone-(614) 488- 4972
>>  Assisting College Students with Disabilities: A Tutor's Manual  by
>Pamela
>>Adelman and Debbie Olufs.  for tutors who work with
>>students with learning disabilities.
>>
>>Jude Gallik and Franklin Kirby at the Learning Support Services
program,
>>Schreiner college, Kerrville, TX have written  "Tutoring College
Students
>>with Learning Disabilities" and is distributed by the Learning
>Disabilities
>>Assn of America, 4156 Library Road, Pittsburgh 15234-1349.  cost is
$25
>>plus 10% p&h.
>
>>  Gwyn Crites writes <Tutoring for LD students is a part of our
regular
>>tutoring center services.>We have incorporated 6-8 hours of training
into
>our tutor training program. >A part of that training is the PBS video
>"Understanding Learning
>>Disabilities:  How Difficult Can this Be?  The F.A.T. City Workshop."
We
>>have found this 70 minute video VERY informative, especially for
tutors
>who
>>have never experienced a learning disability before.  The video is
>>available from PBS for about $50 and comes with a short discussion
guide.
>>Write to:  PBS VIDEO, 1320 Braddock Place, Alexandria, VA  22314, or
call
>>(800) 424-7963 >
>>
>>  Peer Mentoring: A Support Group Model for College Students with
>>Disabilities by Roberta Gimblett   (try  AHEAD - address above.)
>>
>                INFORMATION ON HOW TO TRAIN TUTORS
>
>CRLA (College Reading & Learning Association.)
>The CRLA web page has certifcation information-
>http://www.chemek.cc.or.us/crla/tutor%20cert.html
>
>        >  Gier, T. & Hancock, K. (Eds.) (1993).Tutor Certification
>Registry &
>        >Tutorb Resources. College Reading & Learning Association
>        >(CRLA)  (write Rosaline Lee, Kwantlin University College, 871
>Landsdown
>        >Road, Richmon, BC V6X,3V8  Canada. (Cost $20) >(New edition
1997)

>>       CRLA INTERNATIONAL TUTOR CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
>>       (To find out more about becoming a certified program, contact:
>Gladys Shaw, ITCP
>CoChair,
>        University Texas El Paso, Tutoring and Learning Center, 300
Main
>        Library, El Paso, Texas, 79963, voice: 1(915)747-5366, email:
>
>Harris, Muriel.  (1986)  Teaching One-to-One: The Writing Conference.
>National Council of
>Teachers of English  (NCTE).
>>
>>                While its focus is on writing, there is still plenty
of
>>                useful material on directive & non-directive
approaches
>>                to tutoring, motivating students, listening skills,
>>                nonverbal communication-- (This is probably out of
print.)

>>M. Maxwell "Improving Student Learning Skills: New Edition. (1997).H&H

>>Publishing Co., 1232 Kapp Ave, Clearwatrer, FL 34625. Phone
1-800-366-4O79

>>$38.95 PLUS 4.50 SHIPPING-  (Has a chapter on tutoring, plus handots
for
>training >tutors in study skills and  in chemistry, physics, Mike
Rose's
>"Difficult
>>Tutoring Situations" and a number of useful handouts on tutoring ESL
>>students in writing in the Appendx.)
>>
>>Also there are seven articles on tutor training in Maxwell, M. (Ed.)
>(1994)
>>"From Access to Success: Readings in Developmental
>>Learning and Learning Assistance." H&H Publishing Co., 1232 Kapp Ave,
>>Clearwatrer, FL 34625. Phone 1-800-366-4O79  $18.95
>>PLUS 3.50 SHIPPING-
>>        (THIS BOOK INCLUDES KAREN WINNARD'S  " TRAINING TUTORS NOT TO
>        >RESCUE" )
>>
>>  There are standards and guidelines for tutoring programs in NADE's
>(1994)
>>"Self-evaluation Guidelines for Developmental Skills and
>>Learning Assistance Programs" published by H&H Publishing Co.  1232
Kapp
>>Ave, Clearwatrer, FL 34625. Phone 1-800-366-4O79
>>$18.95 PLUS 3.50 SHIPPING-
>
>WEB SITE FOR TUTOR TRAINING INFORMATION
>        http://www.webcom.com/ergo/tutor/tabout.html
>
>                USING THE COMPUTER TO TRAIN TUTORS.
>
>Essid, J. J. (Fall 1996). Training Peer Tutors with Conference
>Software:Practicing Collaboration
>and Planning for Difficult Tutorials.
>Research & Teaching in Developmental Education. 13(1) 19--32.
>Describes how tutor training can be supplemented by
>synchronous-conferencing using
>Daedalus Interactive Software. The software
>enabled the teacher-trainer to eliminate two of the problems in
>face-to-face training: the
>tendency of some tutors to remain silent  and
>others to monopolize the class thus making it difficult to assess each
>tutor's interpersonal
>skills and ability to think on one's feet. Small
>groups of tutors were given a draft of difficult tutorial- e.g.,
writers
>who objected to revising their
>ork, or those who wrote on topics outside the tutor's expertise or one
>written by a writer whose
>native language was not English. The article  explains the complex role

of
>the instructor in the
>computer discussion training sessions and presents many ideas for
making
>this type  of
>training run smoothly - i.e., how to avoid "flaming", getting all
tutors
>involved in the discussion,
>conserving limited class time, etc.  Concludes that synchronous
computer
>conferences
>supplemented by observations and team tutorials "encourage new tuors to

>turn to each other
>and, most importantly to writers  for solutions that are inherently
>flexible and descriptive." Essid
>espouses the goal that peer tutors in Writing Center and WAC programs.
can
>offer alternatives
>to and not extensions of traditiona
>classrooms >
>
>        ON LINE TUTOR TRAINING
>From: MR WILLIAM R HOSEK <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Online tutor training
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>A tutor training program that is on WWW and has interactive
capabilities
>with regard to tutors, message boards etc. was developed by Dr. Eric
>Golanty, Las Positas College, Livermore, CA.  You can visit the site
>@www.webcom. com/ergo/tutor1.  Golanty's email address is
>
>                >  NEWSLETTERS:
>> "The Tutoring Exchange". Published by CRLA (College Reaind and
Learning
>>Association, Special Interest Group in Tutors (SIG)). .
>>Address: Helen Baril, Director, Learning Center, Box 269, Quinnipiac
>>College, Hamden, CT 06518 - e mail   [log in to unmask]
>>
>>  "The Writing Lab Newsletter". Muriel Harris, Department of English,
>>Heavilon Hall, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1356
>>(Monthly issues Sept. to June,($15. US)  -Phone (765)494-7268
>>
>>  "The Dangling Modifier"- a newsletter by and for writing tutors.
Penn
>>State Writing Center, 219 Boucke Bldg., University Park, PA
>>16802  FAX (814)863-8704
>>
>>  "National Tutoring Association Newsletter"- order from  Diana
Williams,
>>Student Resource Center, Mail Stop 526, Medical College
>>of PA and Hahnemann University 201 North 15th Street, Philadelphia,
PA
>>19102-1192 -phone 215-762-7682
>>
>>JOURNALS
>>        "The Writing Center Journal. (2 issues a year). Joan Mullen,
>>       Editor, The Writing Center, University of Toledo, 2801 W.
Bancroft
>St.,
>        >Toledo, OH 43663-3390, tel. 419/530-4913
>>

>>SYSTEMS FOR KEEPING TUTORING PROGRAM RECORDS
>>
>>There are commercial record programs that are sometimes advertised in
the
>>Journal of Developmental Education  such as Tutorial Assistant 4.0
>(Wilfred van Breukelen; Tel (513)   252-9199, EXT. 372.  E MAIL
>(I hope these numbers are right, my eyes are very bad). Also some
recommend
>using a plain
>DOS daya base -
>
>For model data management programs write : Guilleramo Uribe, U, of
>>Arizona   e-mail   [log in to unmask]   OR  Karen Smith
>>at Rutgers ---  [log in to unmask]        for descriptions of
their
>>data systems.
>
> Scheduling Employees for Windows.It's very useful for anyone that
wants
>schedule their tutors for walk in sessions You  enter in each tutors
name,
>ID#, wages, and any other info you
>might need, and then you select timeslots for when the tutor is not
>available.  Once all that is entered you can go to the scheduling
screen
>and setup the scheduled very efficiently.  It took me six or seven
hours
>to do the scheduling by hand last semester.  I was able to do it this
>semster in just over an hour.  It's very easy to edit, since I do have
>to make occasional adjustments.  And it prints out very nice reports
>that can display total hours or wages.
>
> The shareware comes with 50 free uses,which is plenty to get familiar
with
>it.  I wish the grade  book programsI tried were this user friendly.
>Anyway the Homepage address is www.mindspring.com .  It is version
6.01.
>Try it.
>(from Craig Andres )
>>
>Also
>>ON-LINE GRAMMAR SERVICES  Students and tutors can now access the
Purdue
>>University On-Line Writing Lab where they can
>>find a number of menus with brief discussions about many aspects of
>>writing. This is easy to locate through Gopher and as long as
>>they can identify their problem - topics range from a review of basic
>>sentence structure and punctuation, an overview of writing from
>>planning and organizing to paraphrasing and proofreading, and grammar
>>errors, ESL, etc. These can be downloaded and used as
>>handouts as long as the Purdue Writing  Lab. is given credit.  For
>example,
>>the route to retrieve the handouts is as follows:
>>        Academic Information
>>                Learning Center/Writing Lab.
>>                        Purdue Writing Lab.
>>                                Instructional Materials and Writing
>
>>        Help
>>                                        Helpful Definitions
>>                                        General Writing Concerns
>>                                        Specific Topiic
>
>TRAINING PROFESSIONAL TUTORS>
>"Here at Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute, we have paid,
>professional tutors, not peer tutors, so maybe some of this won't
apply.
>We have a standing Training Team to oversee regular tutor training
which
>is conducted three times per year over the term breaks.  We have
offered
>everything from intensive training on new computer programs being
>introduced into the curriculum to workplace communications to learning
>styles inventories to working with students who have disabilities.
>
>At the beginning of each instructional year, the Training Team
(officially
>known as the Cooperative Academic Advancement Training Team) gets
together
>and drafts a One-Year Plan for the three breaks in the coming year.
This
>plan remains flexible, and workshops are added or deleted as the need
>arises.
>
>Training is offered based on what we see students needing during the
term.
>In addition, we plan to repeat certain courses for our new hires.
>Meanwhile, the handouts are available to anyone who missed a session.
We
>sometimes hire outside professionals to present our workshops, but many

>are offered by the tutors themselves.  This is seen as a professional
>development opportunity.
>
>We also hold subject-area specific workshops.  This term we will be
having
>an open forum in both English and Math lead by the Lead Learning
>Assistants.  These forums are offered for the exchange of ideas,
problem
>solving discussions, and continuing development of our tutoring
>philosophy.
>
>I guess the point is that involving the tutors in developing training
>workshops helps not only the future students but also the tutors.  I
think
>this would hold true not only for professinal tutors but for peer
tutors
>as well.  (maybe even more so, since they are also students!)
>
>Wwe usually offer one "fun" workshop - a trip to the biological park or

zoo
>or a wildlife refuge - as a teambuilding exercise.  These excursions
allow
>us to get away from the school environment for a day and develop a
rapport
>with tutors who work in
>different areas.  We do have specific teambuilding activities for most
of
>these trips.
>
>from Peggy Keller
>Lead Learning Assistant for English
>Assistance Centers for Education
>Department of Adult and Developmental Education
>Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute
>525 Buena Vista SE
>Albuquerque, NM  87106

>HISTORY OF TUTORING
>Dr. Edward E. Gordon's book CENTURIES OF TUTORING: A
>History of Alternative Education in America and Western Europe.
>   Published in March 1990 by University Press of America, this book is

>available in paperback (ISBN #0-8191-7642-7) for $38.  The easiest way,

>of which I am aware, to order Dr. Gordon's book is to call the National

>Book Network's customer service department at 1-800-462-6420.

>:

You may be interested in our tutor training video.  Details are on the
website which may be reached via the link below my signature.
-Ken Gattis

Kenneth W. Gattis
Director, Undergraduate Tutorial Center
& Coordinator, Supplemental Instruction Program
147 Leazar Hall, Box 7105
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC  27695
(919) 515-5619

We are offering a new tutor training videotape for sale!
You can view it at:
http://www2.ncsu.edu/ncsu/undergrad_studies/videoad2.html

The St. Martin's Sourcebook for Writing Tutors ISBN 0312117299

When Tutor Meets Student ISBN 0472065327 U. of Michigan Press