Rochelle,
Starting a Writing Center is always a wonderful idea, but, especially in a
pedagogically conservative environment, I'd guard against starting a
Computerized Grammar Testing Service or an Editing Service. ONce the ball
gets rolling down the hill in those directions, it is difficult to reverse.

Consequently, you might want to send the Department members a copy of
Stephen North's classic "The Idea of a Writing Center" readily available in
Landmark Essays on Writing Centers (1995) or from the 1984 College English.

As well, taking a tip from the new emphasis in medical
practice--evidence-based medicine--what solid evidence do we have that doing
this unusual thing to students--making them sit in front of a machine and
learn terms and manoevres to analyze language--will make them better
writers? Or maybe we should ask whether it will make them better writers
than if they had spent their time doing something else such as talking with
a trained tutor about rhetorical concerns in their writing.

Jim Bell
Coordinator, Learning Skills Centre
University of Northern BC
3333 University Way