It has been around for a long time, but I would suggest THEOUTSIDER by S.E. Hinton.

>>> Ann Fleshman <[log in to unmask]> 03/08 5:20 AM >>>
Dear Friends,

Your help has been extremely valuable this year,and I need it again.

I am tutoring several African-American, 16/17-year-old, high-school drop
outs (males) in a National Guard program for at-risk kids, and am looking
for a book on about the 6th or 7th grade reading level that will knock
their socks off.  They are very interested in learning, but have never read
for pleasure.  (Since I teach at an all-female institution, I really
haven't paid much attention to literature for males, plus I never need
anything on that level.)

If you can offer any suggestions, I would be very appreciative.

Ann Marett Fleshman
Director, Academic Skills
Columbia College
Columbia, SC  29203