Greetings all FYE and Learning Assistance professionals!

LSSU is in the process of remodeling its student center which currently houses the food services, a hair salon, a student lounge and arcade, a convenience store, and the student newspaper, along with rooms for meetings and conferences.  The Office of Student and Residential Life will be moving to the student center as will all offices for student organizations.  It will truly be a student center/student union.

LSSU is also in the process of planning a freshman advising program which has as its center component a 1-credit freshman seminar course.  One dilemma we face is the lack of classroom space conducive to student participation (most of our classrooms are set in the traditional lecture style).  Currently, the student center has a space that could be renovated to serve as a classroom by day and student organization meeting room by night.  The advising planning committee would like to propose renovation of this room into a classroom which would be dedicated to the freshman advising/freshman seminar program and would be structured to encourage student participation, learning, and success.

Aesthetics and physical layout are important to us.  We are recommending that the seating be a large U-shaped table to encourage student participation and involved discussion.  We also want to recommend any lighting, color scheme, decorating ideas, ideas that enhance human thought and attitude.

We are looking for ideas, research, and articles on the topic of physical structure/appearance and its effects on student behavior/learning?

Please reply off-line to [log in to unmask]

Thanks in advance!

Heather Newburg
Learning Center Director and Coordinator of University Studies
(Chair, Freshman Advising Committee)
Lake Superior State University
Sault Ste. Marie, MI