Hello everyone!
I haven't been on this list long but have noticed how helpful everyone is when assistance is needed.  So I am hoping I can hear from anyone who can tell me where (on the net would be great!) I could find some backup statistics showing improved retention rates for implementing a required class for freshmen and a mandatory remediation program.
The freshmen class would be what many schools call "first year experience" or "freshmen seminar."  Something that provides study skills, topical discussions, first connection with faculty, etc.
The mandatory remediation program would require students who were marginal in meeting entrance criteria to enroll in a prescribed number of predetermined courses the first semester.
These data are to support our programming proposal and help us get funded.  Please share data from your own programs or experiences if available.
Thank you everyone!

Carolyn DeLorme, Director
University Learning Center
University of North Dakota--Grand Forks