This is from the City Archives in Vienna, Austria (Europe!).
I love this list because it keeps me up to date with many
developments and there is no similar forum here in Austria.
But on the issue of "forever" I can add our perspective. Our
oldest piece is a parchment charter for cloth makers in Belgium
from 1208. So, on our way to forever we have gone the first 800
years - and still counting :-)
Anyway, thanks for all the great thoughts

martin

Martin Stuerzlinger
Wiener Stadt- und Landesarchiv
http://www.magwien.gv.at/ma08/index.htm

This has been a fun one!  Even the Office of Civilian Radioactive
Waste
Management (OCRWM) in the DOE has retention of program documents
set at only
3,000 years.

This message brought to you by the RECMGMT List
Replying to messages will send your response to the list
Commands go to [log in to unmask] -
Commands are set recmgmt mail, unsub, set recmgmt nomail, help
Live help available at [log in to unmask]
Archives are temporarily unavailable