Jeana:
Actually, there are no ANSI standards on HOW to take density readings,
just
standards on acceptable density results.  There is a recommended
practice
(ANSI/AIIM MS23) that discusses quality inspection procedures, but
taking an
average reading is not a procedure I would recommend.  I agree with you
-
you take a reading and meet the standard or not.  I've always believed
averaging readings of several identical targets was a way to get out
of
having to refilm.  Besides, if you are getting such great differences
in
each target reading that you must go by an average, then you have
camera
exposure problems that need to be addressed.

BTW - I personnally define a "standard" to be a "thou shalt," a
"recommended
practice" to be a "thou should," and a "technical report" to be an
"important to know."  ANSI and AIIM have more technically precise
definitions, but they mean about the same.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Newport News Waterworks
Newport News, VA

> HELP!  Is there an ANSII Standard that states that you can
> take four density
> measurements on a roll of microfilm and "average" the readings for a
> calculation that will fall within the standards of acceptable
> measurements
> for density in order to "pass" a roll of microfilm.
>
> It is my understanding that you take your readings on the film and
all
> readings must fall within the ANSII Standard for density
> readings and they
> either pass or fail the microfilm based on the reading - not
> an average of
> all the readings.
>
> Please help me clarify this question/request.  Thanks.
>
> Jeana McLellan

This message brought to you by the RECMGMT List
Sender is responsible for obtaining clearance of copyrighted materials
Commands go to [log in to unmask]
Commands are set recmgmt mail, unsub, set recmgmt nomail, help
Live help available at [log in to unmask]
Archives are temporarily unavailable