At 08:34 AM 03/04/2000 -0700, Fern Phillips wrote:
>Migrating electronic data that has been identified for retention is a
>convenient idea, but you would need a strng mechanism for change to
>accomodate the need to "suspend" retentions for litigation or reviews,
and
>to accomodate changes in legislation which can happen frequently.

Fern, you are absolutely correct.

One answer is to maintain your retention schedule in one file of a
database, and your record of folders/boxes/electronic files in another
file.  As long as the retention schedule file has the record series
number
and the number of days/months/quarters/years corresponding to the
retention
period, and the folder/box/electronic files file has the date of
contents
of the folders/boxes/electronic files and the record series number, a
quick
calculation by a database management program can determine which
folders/boxes/electronic files are ready for disposition.
This same program can be written to recognize when a series or an
individual folder/box/electronic file has been placed on suspension
and
prohibit it from appearing on the list of dispositionable items.

Alan

ALAN S. ZABEN
"A Cancer Survivor"
Edison, NJ

Cancer may have robbed me of that blissful ignorance that once led me
believe that tomorrow stretched forever.  In exchange I've been
granted
the wisdom to see each today as something special, a gift to be used
wisely
and fully.  Nothing can take that away.

Hopes and dreams reign where cancer cannot go.

This message brought to you by the RECMGMT List
Sender is responsible for obtaining clearance of copyrighted materials
Commands go to [log in to unmask]
Commands are set recmgmt mail, unsub, set recmgmt nomail, help
Live help available at [log in to unmask]
Archives are temporarily unavailable