I, like Deb Dobson, am interested in the alignment of records
management
within the broader organization.  I also am interested in the alignment
of
business continuity planning. So, if you would indicate organizational
location of both records management and business continuity planning,
would appreciate it greatly.

____________

I currently am reporting to the Manager, Business Services ----
Manager,
Corporate Facilities ---- Corporate Secretary ---- Chief Financial
Officer.
Several years ago my management approached our IT organization about
taking
business continuity and records management.  They said "no."
Historically,
they have seen their role as the infrastructure gods (hardware and
software).  They are finally waking up to information management, but
still
have a long way to go and haven't yet invited us fully to the table.
We
also have toyed with the idea of moving records management and
business
continuity to Legal/Compliance.  There has been a very big compliance
awareness push here lately and management is beginning to recognize
that
records management is a compliance issue.

My executive management is fully supportive of moving the records and
busines continuity programs to another organization at the holding
company
level -- where-ever that might be.  Currently, we are one of several
records
programs and business continuity programs at the subsidiary level.
The
records managers at the subsidiary level are in the process of
developing a
company-wide records management program that would be applicable to
the
holding company and all domestic subsidiaries.  We believe that we need
be in the same organization reporting to the same executive.

BTW, I work for a large electric utility -- Southern Company.
Actually, I
work for Georgia Power (a subsidiary of Southern Company).

Maggi

Maggi Johnsen, CRM
Coordinator, Business Information Services
Georgia Power Company:  A Southern Company
Phone:  (404) 506-6165
Fax:  (404) 506-2184
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

This message brought to you by the RECMGMT List
Commercial advertisments are not allowed on this list
Commands go to [log in to unmask] -
Commands are set recmgmt mail, unsub, set recmgmt nomail, help
Live help available at [log in to unmask]
Archives are temporarily unavailable