>>In 1952, civil service exams used 30 wpm as the minimum standard for
clerk
typists on either mechanical or electric typewriters.
Dick Montgomery
21st Century Cooperative<<

>>Years ago, IBM used the standard of 32 keystrokes per minute.
Ginny Jones<<

>>That sounds really off. It only calculates to 1920/hour. Good
data entry operators have production rates of 10k/hr to 12k/hr
or more. And even average typists can do 40 - 50 wpm. Am I
missing something here?

Jim Savage<<

I agree with Jim.  Thirty two keystrokes a minute is in the range of 6
words
per minute in typing speed.  The 1952 minimum requirement of 32 words
minute wouldn't even get you a interview or training spot at the data
entry
shops I am aware of.  Averages of 18,000 to 20,000 keystrokes per hour
(and
higher), five days a week, are not all that uncommon(19,000 cph = 60+
wpm).
Some of the staff I am aware of have been doing it for several years.

Bill Roach, CRM
North Dakota ITD/Records Management
701-328-3589

This message brought to you by the RECMGMT List
Replying to messages will send your response to the list
Commands go to [log in to unmask] -
Commands are set recmgmt mail, unsub, set recmgmt nomail, help
Live help available at [log in to unmask]
Archives are temporarily unavailable