Why are we using standards developed for machines from the 19th
Century.
Don't we have anything more recent than those developed in the days of
manual typewriters, adding machines and comptometers; not a spelling
error,
my Mom used one in the early 1960's at the IRS - they were 81 key
manual
adders or primitive calculators created in 1887. SEE
http://www.hpmuseum.org/adddir.htm if you'd like to add to your trivia
file.

I found a well written  manual used at McGill University for
standardizing
data-entry. It's lengthy, but worth a look
http://www.is.mcgill.ca/banner/Documentation/DataEntry.htm.

And SkillCheck
http://www.skillcheck.com/products/typing/data_speed.html and
Qwiz http://www.qwiz.com/products.htm have software that let's you
test
applicants and even develop your own tests.

Thomas L. Myers, CRM
Senior Management Analyst
Office of the City Clerk
City of Berkeley, CA