If anyone has an opportunity to attend a school on this subject at the
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, located in Glynco, GA, don't
hesitate - jump at it.  I got to go to a 2-week school in 1992 and the
Feds
didn't mess around - everything was state of the art for its time and
I'm
sure still is, if they're still offering that class (it had to be a
little
pricey to put on).

We not only had theory and practical lab but also, also a "real-life"
case
to work that started with monitoring and retrieving e-mails and
deleted
files, making investigative connections, interviewing witnesses
(remarkably
convincing local actors who did NOT break character), ultimately
serving a
search warrant on an office and having to seize all its computers,
etc..
That place was set up with hidden degaussers and similar traps, and
they
even had a local TV news crew descend on us during service of the
warrant
with lights and microphones and the resulting crowd of onlookers, while
the
perpetrators (more local actors) were screaming about their rights,
trying
to escape, trying to destroy their data before we could get to it, and
resisting arrest as we found what we were looking for.  Having done
that
sort of thing in real life, I can tell you that two-week exercise was
as
close to the real thing as you're likely to see in a training
environment.
...not to mention a lot of fun, for those who enjoy that sort of
thing!

Although I don't do that sort of work for my present employer, it was
and is
fascinating to me to watch how crime and law enforcement work to
get/stay
one step of one another in the use of technology.

Jan Schuffman, Asst. Records Manager
Davidson County Sheriff's Office
Nashville, TN
V:  615-880-3765