From: HEGEL, GERRY [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: March 10, 2000 7:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Client Files Leaving Firm with Departing Attorneys

Here's two cents worth from Chicago.

I can't think of a single instance when we've been asked to release a
record
that wasn't because of a request from the client.  Now that's not to
say
that the client wasn't "persuaded" by the attorney, but I don't know
that.
The point being, if a record leaves, we get a letter from the client
requesting that to happen.  Period.  We keep very little (like I've
seen
this twice) where billing information gets into the matter file so
that's
not a problem.  Any working files are included, if for no other reason,
we
won't be working on the matter anymore, why keep them?

I hadn't thought of the intake data, I shall have to explore that.
Although, we just recently started (at my instigation) putting the
conflict
check in the matter file anyway.

I think our underlying philosophy is that if they are no longer a
client, we
have no desire to keep records on them.  I think it's fair to say any
time
we can ship records out the door, we're more than glad to do it.

Now, I'm going to start a new page and a new thread.

Thanks,

Gerry

Gerald L. Hegel
Records Manager