*****************Internet E-Mail Confidentiality
Header**********************

Information contained in this E-Mail transmission is privileged and
confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not
read, distribute, or reproduce this transmission.  If you have received
this E-Mail transmission in error, please call our Technical Support at
612-349-8799.

<<<<<<So, what I am interested in hearing from others is how you handle
these two situations.  On the transfers of old stuff between firms, I
tried to get a mutual "no dump" treaty organized between us legal
records types around town, but that didn't go far (Grin).>>>>>>>

Today I have a person indexing 190 boxes of closed files that came with
an incoming partner.  He'd better make a lot of money for us while he's
here.  It's tempting to want to get rid of a bunch of closed files that way,
but if everyone's going to do that, it's just extra work for everyone in
the long run.  You're right, we could use a treaty, enforceable by the
threat of MAD (mutual assured dumping).

Gary L. Grieme
Records Manager
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
Minneapolis, MN
612-349-8538

>>> "HEGEL, GERRY" <[log in to unmask]> 3/10/00 10:05:30 AM >>>
Let's work on this topic for awhile.  It sometimes drives me crazy, but
think we've got it in remission.

We have two general scenarios.  A new attorney, partner or associate,
it
doesn't matter, arrives and proposes to bring records with them.  If
they
are for matters they are working on, obviously we're going to take
them.  We
do insist that their secretary rearrange and refolder them according to
our
system.  We won't have folders around with other people's names on
them!
This is the easy part, the fun comes next.

They also propose to arrive with boxes of inactive materials for their
current clients (can't do too much about that, but we do try to
discourage
it and we insist they be made to conform to our system inactive or
not).  We
will NOT accept inactive materials for their inactive clients for which
they
have no current interest.  This firm has no interest in them, the
attorney
is usually trying a CYA exercise and we don't propose to be the
records
center for the world.

The biggest problem is when a firm is breaking up and they are trying
to get
rid of all the stuff they've got in off-site storage.  If the firm
going out
of business can in any way tie this stuff to one of their "alumni" that
is
now here, they try and dump it on us.  We won't take it unless the firm
has
a current interest in this client.  Period.

I have had a local consultant tell me that when she helped a firm
during its
breakup, she helped the attorneys arrange for their own storage so
they
could keep their own records if they wanted them that badly.

So, what I am interested in hearing from others is how you handle these
two
situations.  On the transfers of old stuff between firms, I tried to
get a
mutual "no dump" treaty organized between us legal records types
around
town, but that didn't go far (Grin).

Look forward to hearing from all of you.

Thanks,

Gerry

Gerald L. Hegel
Records Manager
D'Ancona & Pflaum

Voice  312-602-2197
Direct Fax  312-602-3197
E-mail  [log in to unmask]

This message brought to you by the RECMGMT List
Sender is responsible for obtaining clearance of copyrighted materials
Commands go to [log in to unmask]
Commands are set recmgmt mail, unsub, set recmgmt nomail, help
Live help available at [log in to unmask]
Archives are temporarily unavailable