The story of "Joe" illuminates a problem that has become chronic in
education: The mis-advised student. From the information given, it would
appear that "Joe" should not be pursuing the goals described. I can't
imagine any other area in human activity where a person so unsuited to a
particular goal would be so consistently encouraged. (Here I am referring
to the goal of being a successful businessman -- not the mere means to the
goal, the degree.)

Is there no way we can encourage students with such obvious and seriously
limited ability to choose more appropriate paths? Have we completely come
around to the unfortunate concept that the only worthy educational goal is
a college degree? How sad!

John M. Flanigan <[log in to unmask]>     The equation is the final arbiter.
Assistant Professor, Mathematics                    --Werner Heisenberg
Kapi'olani Community College            The scoreboard is the final arbiter.
4303 Diamond Head Road                              --Bill Walton
Honolulu HI  96816                      History is the final arbiter.
(808) 734-9371                                      --Edward Gibbon