While I ran a Learning Center in a community college, I am now working in a
high school which generally require certification for virtually everything.
In our case the tutoring certification would have to be for the state in
which the Learning Center is located unless you are talking about
bestowing  National Certification . Since There is no state certification
for tutoring, this National Concept would be a great idea since we already
have National Teacher Certification. It would also transfer anywhere. It
certainly would be a big plus when the school is seeking reaccredat ion or
when someone applies for a position.

At 08:50 AM 4/28/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Could anyone explain the real benefits of getting a tutoring program
>certified?  Are we talking about any learning center anywhere, just college
>learning centers?  I'm new to this listserv and don't know if all members
>are associated with colleges/universities as I am.
>
>When we say "learning center," I'm sure we are referring to very different
>places.  On my campus, for example, the Learning Resources Center houses
>the writing center, tutoring center, disability services, and study-skills
>center.
>
>Also, when I read through the e-mails, I often wonder what audience the
>sender has in mind: Would it be possible for senders to indicate the
>intended audience?  For example:
>                 This message is for anyone who works with disabled
> college students.
>This would help everyone quickly sort through the messages.
>
>Thanks for any information you can send.
>
>Lou Ann Sears
>UPG
>Greensburg, PA

Opportunities are never lost; someone will take the ones you miss.

Dave Lawrence. Ph.D.
Director of Library and Media Services
Downingtown High School
445 Manor Avenue