To Listserve members who would be willing to share any effective teaching
tools for difficult audiences:

I am an academic counselor at a large four year university.  In addition to
meeting individually with students for academic success counseling, I give
workshops throughout the semester on various academic topics (e.g. time
management, preparing for exams, test anxiety, notetaking, reading
comprehension, learning styles, etc.).  I try to make sure that I clearly
present the information, include colorful slides, and make the workshops as
interactive as possible.  In addition, I always ask for feedback and
encourage participation.  Generally, the students who participate in the
workshops are eager to receive the helpful information.  On occasion
(written with some sarcasm), students attend the workshops because they
have to do so for course credit and are not exactly attentive or
respectful.  Likewise, when guest lecturing a class on any of these topics,
sometimes a segment of the class has become disruptive (perhaps the
substitute-teacher phenomenon).  I have learned not to take this
inattention personally :) and I would like to improve my ability to reach
disruptive students without shaming them in front of the class.  In other
words, I want to learn what has worked for guiding the students (i.e.
aligning with them, if you will) instead of blasting them with feedback
that might feed into their negative attention-seeking behavior.

Do any of you have creative ideas or teaching savvy that you would be
willing to share?

Please respond directly to my email address: [log in to unmask] (just copy and
paste into the "To" address slot) unless you feel that the information
would be pertinent for others' on the list to know.

Sincerely,
Jenny Ruchhoeft
Academic Cslr.
Univ. of Houston