I've experienced similar situations when we had academic probation students
mandated to our workshops when I was teaching at Indiana University.
Depending upon the level of disruption, timing of the disruption, number of
people involved, etc.,  I've done things ranging from speaking quietly to
the one person while the rest of the group was doing an activity to asking a
group of frat brothers to leave so that others could learn.  The best and
most effective strategy was when I was in a rather old classroom giving a
workshop on time management, and certain folks sitting in the back of the
room with their heads against the wall and feet on the desks with an angry
glare in their eyes were getting disruptive.  I began the workshop without
saying anything, and as some disruptive behavior got worse, I said, "Let  me
pause for a moment and share a story about learning with you..."  I
proceeded to share with them an incident I had read about in Mike Rose's
book "Lives on the Boundary".  I set the stage by talking about this
teacher, blah blah, blah and how he had looked around an old classroom wall
one day and noticed a smudgy line running around the room.  He realized that
the line was just at head level where people had leaned against the wall and
the oils from their hair had formed the mark.  It was amazing how fast these
people sat up straight and then proceeded to pay attention.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

Lisa

Lisa C. D'Adamo-Weinstein
Director, Reading & Study Skills Program
Center for Enhanced Performance
6313 Washington Hall
United States Military Academy
West Point, NY 10996
phone 914-938-7815
fax 914-938-2481

"Teachers are those who use themselves as bridges, over which they invite
their students to cross; then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully
collapse, encouraging them to create bridges of their own."
Nikos Kazantzakis