This is in reponse to Julie Jackson-Coe @Niagara and Peg Dansereau @UNT HSC.
Our situation is similar to the Niagara University. I believe that our
starting rate of peer tutors may be lower than the rate of work study
students. This situation is more disturbing when tutors are tutoring
organic chemistry, linear algebra and so on.
Prep-time compensation is a good idea, but we have several dilemmas here.
We have three different pay rates which consist of unequal intervals.
Should we apply the prep-time rule to every one or lower rate ones only?
And a fair number of peer tutors are tutoring more than 20 hours per week
and adding prep-time would violate the rule of temporary part-time status
(<30 hrs). I am also fairly new to the position and the pay rates has
troubled me from the beginning. -Penny Kim-
Penny Kim
Content Tutoring Center
Onondaga Community College
Syracuse, NY 13215