From:   Gail Platt [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Thursday, April 06, 2000 7:50 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: Students in Crisis Policies and Procedures

Maureen,

Thanks for your response.  I have told the particular student I am dealing
with this year
that although ADA does provide her with testing accommodations (extended
time and private
testing), ADA does not permit her to ignore the rules, regulations and
policies of the
institution.

I'd appreciate hearing from others on this issue.

Gail

Maureen Connolly wrote:

> Gail,
> One item we all need to keep in mind is that many of these students with
various
> psychological disabilities may be covered under ADA.  The best procedure,
when problems
> arise, is to do exactly as you have suggested.  Although time consuming,
keeping
> detailed notes or a running log of events is your best defense.
>
> Maureen Connolly
> Elmhurst College
>
> Gail Platt wrote:
>
> > David,
> >
> > I agree that we are going to be seeing more students in crisis and that
in many --
> > if not most -- colleges are ill-equipped to meet their needs.  I would
be very
> > interested in seeing the brochure developed by your institution when it
is ready for
> > distribution.
> >
> > I have had a very demanding and unpleasant situation with a student
this year who
> > has abused the tutoring system and faculty at our institution in an
unprecedented
> > manner.  I have had to write a very detailed and specific contract for
her to sign
> > regarding her tutoring and what is and is not acceptable behavior and
notified her
> > that if she fails to comply with the contract, I and her instructors
will have no
> > choice but to call Campus Security and have her removed from the
classroom/tutoring
> > lab/office.
> >
> > In Texas, we currently have a task force studying issues in higher
education.  A
> > week ago they met to study excellence in HE.  An invited guest from the
California
> > higher education system spoke about how in California there is a
general perception
> > that community colleges have stretched their resources too thinly by
trying to be
> > all things to all people.  He said that California was investigating
how some
> > responsibilities now being performed by community colleges in
California could be
> > relegated to "adult schools."  Have you heard anything about these
"adult schools?"
> > The speaker was not specific about this and did not elaborate.
> >
> > I am very concerned that we have too many individuals at our
open-admissions
> > institution who are too disturbed mentally and/or emotionally to be
learners.  Does
> > anyone else share this concern?
> >
> > I would be interested in hearing your ideas and if you know anything
about the
> > "adult schools" being proposed in California.
> >
> > Thanks to all,
> > Gail Platt
> >
> > "Arendale, David" wrote:
> >
> > > Dear SInet and LRNASST Friends,
> > >
> > > I am curious how other centers are training their tutors, SI leaders,
mentors,
> > > etc., to deal with students who are experiencing emotional
difficulties and
> > > expressing them in passive or aggressive behaviors.  It would be
helpful to hear
> > > how student paraprofessionals and professional staff are being
trained to detect
> > > signs of potential distress, what campus and community resources are
available,
> > > and how are referrals made to access those resources.  The
professional
> > > literature often talks about how our student paraprofessionals
(tutors, SI
> > > leaders, mentors, etc.) are the most likely to observe students in
need and can
> > > make quick referrals to campus resources.
> > >
> > > We have been dealing with a student in difficulty for several weeks.
 It appears
> > > that the student will receive help through the coordinated efforts of
the Vice
> > > Chancellor's Office, Counseling Services, Campus Security, external
health
> > > service providers, family members of the student, and the Center
staff.

> > > Our campus has developed an official policy and procedure brochure on
this
> > > subject (unfortunately I don't have copies to share at this point).
 In addition