Listers,
        Lisa Kramme's message about her program seemed to
give me hope that some programs are given charge of their
ways to deliver services.  For those of you who work
in Learning Centers, are you the ones in charge of
making initial contacts with students who need assistance.
At Central, while we have an Academic Alert Committee in
place, on which the Director and Assistant Director of
the Center for Academic Excellence serve, we have
another committee member who is the Director of Retention.
He wants students to come to see him first.  Why do we
need this structure in academic-assistance cases, when
we are the ones who have always done the contacting?
Let me make this clear this is not a territorial/power
issue with me; the issue is the extra layer of contact
that a student must go through before he/she gets the
assistance they need right away.
        Any thoughts about this from you?  Thanks.
Linda Blatt, Director
Center for Academic Excellence
Central College
Pella, IA 50219