Hello all.  This posting is inspired by two comments from the listserv
today: (1) Robin Wright's original question about getting feedback from
tutors about program directors and her staff member's negative emotional
response, and
(2) Martha Maxwell's comment about evaluation being something for everyone
from tutors up to supervisors and directors.
I've copied both in their entirety at the end of this message.

Robin's comment, in particular, sparks my interest:
"I really feel I need to have a way to "monitor"--in a good way--what the
program directors are doing so I can do my job.  I don't want to police, but
do need to supervise.  The director who reacted so passionately is
absolutely exemplary.  If she has that reaction, what can I expect from the
others?"

How do we get the people we supervise to understand that evaluation is an
opportunity to congratulate good work and to find areas which we can
continue to develop.  Evaluation and supervision do not have to have
punitive connotations.  Is it because we work in academia that people assume
that evaluation means either you pass or fail?

As a relatively new director of a reading and study skills program, I am
interested in different/effective ways to evaluate, supervise, and
professionally develop my staff.  I know that since most directors wear
multiple hats, having many responsibilities beyond supervision, that
sometimes it can be difficult to manage effectively.  I am curious as to the
challenges and "positives" that other directors face in these three areas
(Evaluation, Supervision, and Professional Development)and how do you learn
to balance responsibilities, tasks, and supervision.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or resources you have on this matter. Depending
upon the response, I'll collect these thoughts and re-post a summary to the
listserv in an anonymous format so that we can all benefit from the wisdom
out there.

Thanks for your input,

Lisa

Lisa C. D'Adamo-Weinstein
Director, Reading & Study Skills Program
Center for Enhanced Performance
6313 Washington Hall
United States Military Academy
West Point, NY 10996
phone 914-938-7815
fax 914-938-2481

"Teachers are those who use themselves as bridges, over which they invite
their students to cross; then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully
collapse, encouraging them to create bridges of their own."
Nikos Kazantzakis