Has anyone ever looked at or used 360 Degree Feedback? It's anonymous, and
it gives feedback from levels above, below, and sideways (thus, the 360
degrees). It's definitely going out on a limb, but if the evaluation is
handled appropriately by a facilitator, it can really work. The trick is to
definitely use a trained facilitator in the final evaluations. The beauty
is that it gives very real feedback.

I must apologize in that I have never used it at work. We researched it in
my doctoral program. The book is written by Peter Ward and is entitled, 360
Degree Feedback.

Sandie Miller,
Director of Learning Assistance Centers & Support Services

At 03:41 PM 04/11/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello all.  This posting is inspired by two comments from the listserv
>today: (1) Robin Wright's original question about getting feedback from
>tutors about program directors and her staff member's negative emotional
>response, and
>(2) Martha Maxwell's comment about evaluation being something for everyone
>from tutors up to supervisors and directors.
>I've copied both in their entirety at the end of this message.
>
>Robin's comment, in particular, sparks my interest:
>"I really feel I need to have a way to "monitor"--in a good way--what the
>program directors are doing so I can do my job.  I don't want to police, but
>do need to supervise.  The director who reacted so passionately is
>absolutely exemplary.  If she has that reaction, what can I expect from the
>others?"
>
>How do we get the people we supervise to understand that evaluation is an
>opportunity to congratulate good work and to find areas which we can
>continue to develop.  Evaluation and supervision do not have to have
>punitive connotations.  Is it because we work in academia that people assume
>that evaluation means either you pass or fail?
>
>As a relatively new director of a reading and study skills program, I am
>interested in different/effective ways to evaluate, supervise, and
>professionally develop my staff.  I know that since most directors wear
>multiple hats, having many responsibilities beyond supervision, that
>sometimes it can be difficult to manage effectively.  I am curious as to the
>challenges and "positives" that other directors face in these three areas
>(Evaluation, Supervision, and Professional Development)and how do you learn
>to balance responsibilities, tasks, and supervision.
>
>I'd appreciate any thoughts or resources you have on this matter. Depending
>upon the response, I'll collect these thoughts and re-post a summary to the
>listserv in an anonymous format so that we can all benefit from the wisdom
>out there.
>

>Thanks for your input,
>
>Lisa
>
>Lisa C. D'Adamo-Weinstein
>Director, Reading & Study Skills Program
>Center for Enhanced Performance
>6313 Washington Hall
>United States Military Academy
>West Point, NY 10996
>phone 914-938-7815
>fax 914-938-2481
>
>"Teachers are those who use themselves as bridges, over which they invite
>their students to cross; then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully
>collapse, encouraging them to create bridges of their own."
>Nikos Kazantzakis

"The illiterate of the year 2000 will not be the individual who cannot read
and write, but the one who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn."
                Alvin Toffler