Our Director of Counseling is a regular participant in our tutor training
program.  Once or twice each year, we schedule a tutor workshop on exactly
these kinds of issues about students with emotional difficulties: what to
look for, what to do or say, when to get someone else or make a referral
and how to go about that.  It has been a consistently well received
workshop, and the connection between the learning center and counseling
center has proven valuable in many different ways.

The above works well for training tutors to deal with one-on-one
situations in which the student they're working with seems troubled in
some way.  But we take a slightly different approach when we talk about
situations in which a student's distress may alarm or endanger other
people in the Center.  To address that concern, we have held a tutor and
staff meeting once each academic year with three key people as
discussion/panel members: the Counseling Center director, the head of
Campus Security, and a representative from the local police force.
Topics include such things as who should be contacted if someone becomes
violent, what to do if we see a gun or other weapon, how to deal with
escalating anger.

The campus' policies regarding student behaviors, due process, complaints,
what constitutes disruptive behavior, etc. are also, of course, discussed
within tutor trainings and staff meetings.

Jan Norton, Director
Center for Academic Support        Phone: (816) 271-4536
Missouri Western State College     Email: [log in to unmask]
4525 Downs Drive                   Fax: (816) 271-4574
St. Joseph, MO  64507              Website: www.mwsc.edu/~cas