In a recent post, Barbara Fowler referred to "Writing Intensive" Courses
at her institution. I am presently on a committee at Newbury College to
investigate the concept of Writing Intensive courses with the idea of
eventually implementing a curriculum that mandates a certain number of
such courses.

I'm interested in gathering information from schools that have Writing
Intensive courses.
        What are the criteria for these courses?
        How is it decided if a course can qualify? (Curriculum Committee?
Educational Policies Committee? Faculty? Department?etc.)
        Would all sections of a course qualify, or is it related to
instructor and individual syllabus?
        Are a certain number of such courses required? How is this decided?

You may contact me off-list or post to the list if folks are interested.

Thanks,

Sara d'Anjou
Director of Academic Support Services
Newbury College