0100,0100,0100Some excellent information for intervention with students on Academic Probation can be found in Martha Maxwell's book Improving Student Learning Skills. At Southern Nazarene University, we have different levels of academic probation and different levels of intervention. For first time probation students, they can meet with me individually and do some of the same things that Lisa Kramme does with her intervention. We have an interview, discuss their academic status/problems and then sign a contract in which they can enroll in classes, meet with me individually or refuse services. For students at the second and third level (third is the final level), they are required to enroll in a 1 credit course entitled "Seminar: Academic Turning Point". This course is designed for 6-12 students per section. We use the text Turning Point: Getting Off Probation and On With Your Education by Joyce D. Weinsheimer. It is an excellent book and students do come and do report enjoying the class and finding it and the text helpful. I just started this course in the fall 99 semester so I don't have any retention or grade figures yet. I'd be happy to share more detailed information if you'd like. Sandra D. Yarbrough Director, Emerging Scholars Academic Services Southern Nazarene University (405) 491-6694 [log in to unmask]