This is in response to the dilemma called "Joe vs. Algebra."  You say that
Joe is unwilling to listen to any suggestions or study techniques,
etc.;therefore, it seems that he expects you to have the magic wand.
"Magic wand" syndrome seems popular this year among disabled AND
nondisabled students.  I am in favor of helping in any way we can, but when
the student refuses to implement suggestions, doesn't show up for tutoring,
etc. and instead looks to you for a cure-all, he is not facing reality, not
taking responsbility, and seems less interested in doing well than you are
in seeing him do well.  This is just my opinion and I don't know your
entire situation, but your finding ways to get him through when he isn't
willing to help will enable him: He may begin to believe that in the real
world, he should expect others to get him through, expect others to do
gymnastics to find ways for him to succeed.  Don't get me wrong: I applaud
you for caring so much and for being so willing to help.
        Lou Ann Sears
        University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg