I am responding to your question not as the Director of the Learning Center at
South Plains College, but as former chair of the Literacy Committee for my
son's elementary school PTA.  Accelerated Reading was met with some resistance
at my son's elementary school because a) it utilizes a point-reward system,
encouraging extrinsic motivation for reading (not the intrinsic love of
reading); b) it makes available only a selected "kind" of reading (i.e., that
is books on the reading list); c) comprehension questions from the Accelerated
Reading program tend to be direct comprehension (no inferential or critical
thinking -- although teachers could make up their own questions for materials
if they have time/expertise).  My son (a third grader) reads at the seventh
grade level but has read very few AR books this year because he prefers chapter
books to the "little story books" that are on the AR list for his grade.
Perhaps I should add that my son attends an exemplary public school with very
high literacy -- although not all the children in his school love to read.

I would think that many college students would raise the same objections to AR
materials that my 8 year-old son does.

Gail Platt