I am responding to your question not as the Director of the Learning Center at South Plains College, but as former chair of the Literacy Committee for my son's elementary school PTA.  Accelerated Reading was met with some resistance at my son's elementary school because a) it utilizes a point-reward system, encouraging extrinsic motivation for reading (not the intrinsic love of reading); b) it makes available only a selected "kind" of reading (i.e., that is books on the reading list); c) comprehension questions from the Accelerated Reading program tend to be direct comprehension (no inferential or critical thinking -- although teachers could make up their own questions for materials if they have time/expertise).  My son (a third grader) reads at the seventh grade level but has read very few AR books this year because he prefers chapter books to the "little story books" that are on the AR list for his grade.  Perhaps I should add that my son attends an exemplary public school with very high literacy -- although not all the children in his school love to read.

I would think that many college students would raise the same objections to AR materials that my 8 year-old son does.

Gail Platt

Clare Ferner wrote:

Does anyone out there have knowledge of the Accelerated Reader Program
(from Advantage Lrng.Systems, Inc) being used with developmental or regular
college reading students? This is a very popular program in K-12 whereby
students read books of their choice and then take comprehension tests via
computer. There are point, tracking, and record keeping systems built in.
Many hundreds of book titles are available at all levels and they take
requests for new ones. The research is positive but seems to be focused on
elementary use. I am wondering if anyone has tried this with adults.
Thanks.

Clare C. Ferner
Learning Support
Bainbridge College