I would only add to the comments of others here the question, "Is Joe
going to leave your institution with a degree and the skills necessary
to succeed in the labor market, or is Joe unprepared to meet the math
demands of the business world in the 21st century?"

I hear from employers that they are sick and tired of hiring people with
degrees only to learn that the graduates in question lack the skills to
perform on the job.  I think we have an obligation to make sure that our
students have the skills and competencies they need (certified, we hope,
by earning passing grades in required courses) before they walk out with
a degree carrying the seal of the university.

Gail Platt