There are several issues concerning students like Joe. I'll just mention a few
for reflection.   1.) For the individual student themselves disabilities or not
they have a right to fail.  Anyone may strive for any academic goal.  We as
student support are not obligated to force or coerce them to achieve their
goal.  2.) The institution of higher education has a right to maintain the
integrity of its program.  The student needs to benefit from the education
provided.  (If a student continually fails a class and there is no evidence
that success is possible the school does not need to provide an useless act.)
3.) Finally, the U.S. Government does not guarantee the right to a college
education.

d'Anjou, compassion is a critical asset you bring to your position.  Sometimes
stepping back to look for the whole picture if helpful.  Grade inflation for
one student lessens the value of all the degrees given from that school. And to
be fair to all the students you work with adherence to the rules is important.

We have a rule at my school.  If a student misses two tutorial session without
a twenty-four hour notice they forfeit our service for the rest of the
semester.