Like many others who have responded, I am concerned about Joe's lack of
motivation and unwillingness to help himself, but I also realize that these
attitudes may be the result of his previous failures, so I will still suggest a
strategy.

Last year I reported to this list Pam Thomas' efforts to work with one of my
students with multiple disabilities, including neurological damage.  When Pam
began teaching developmental algebra on television, it was broadcast several
times per day and on weekends on local cable access.  My student videotaped the
lectures so that she could still participate when she could not attend class.
Also, she could rewind and watch the parts she needed over and over.  Even when
she mastered the material, there was no guarantee that it would still be with her
a day, or even an hour later.  She was able to go to the Learning Center any time
it was open to take her tests, so that she could demonsstrate her knowledge when
she was "on top of it."

None of us ever thought that this student would be able to complete developmental
math.  We were particularly worried about the state-mandated exit exam.  But it
was amazing how much a few successes did for this student's attitude toward math
and motivation to complete the course.  Despite her multiple disabilities, this
student is continuing to take courses, particularly in the social sciences, and
maintains an A- average.  She also married last year, not long after completing
her math requirement.

I should mention that Pam devoted numerous hours to working with this student
over the years, as did other faculty members in the University of Georgia's
Division of Academic Assistance, but isn't individualized learning support what
we are all about?

I am currently a part of a U.S. Dep't of Ed. grant involved in training faculty
in Universal Instructional Design (UID).  What is so wonderful about Pam Thomas'
approach is that her TV broadcasts and the tapes available in the Learning Center
were not designed as an accomodation for students with disabilities, but as an
instructional strategy that could benefit all students.  As I have mentioned
before, Pam is now known in Athens, GA as the "TV Math Lady."  People stop her on
the street to ask Qs re: math or tell her that they "enjoy her show."  It's
remarkable!

Jeanne Higbe

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/