Jim (In your reply to Andra)
I use computers both as supplemental and for total online teaching.  Remedial
students can and do work wonderfully well with them.  They only need a few skills,
and do not need to be totally savvy with the computer.  I believew that in years to
come, everyone will hae a computer.  right now so many colleges have labs where
information can be accessed that lack of a computer should not be a deterrent.  THe
one key thing all online students need is "motivation."  they must have the drive to
successfully complete their courses.  For an example of what an online course should
be go to www.classroom.com and take a tour.  The set-up and design of those classes
is what online teaching and taking should be all about.
Helen Sabin
El Camino College