All students on academic probation are supposed to meet with me (Dir. of
Academic Support Services).  During our meeting we discuss the reason(s) the
student believes he/she had a low enough gpa to warrant probationary status.
These reasons may include lack of studying, poor test taking, excessive
absences, etc.  The student then completes a questionnaire that helps me
determine what study skills this student may or may not have.  We then
complete a contract together, agreeing to meet concerning the deficiency
areas noted on the questionnaire.  The student is also supposed to spend
(minimal) time in our tutoring center every week.  I'm still trying to work
out the bugs on this system, and it only works as well as the student is
willing to follow through.
Lisa Kramme
Midland Lutheran College