Please respond directly to [log in to unmask]
<snip>
I am writing you for some information which I could not
find on the NADE web site (maybe it is there but I am not familiar
with it enough yet). My college is considering combining it's math,
english and writing learning centers into a single comprehensive
center. We are also considering reorganizing the departments and
creating a developmental studies department. In the math
department we care deeply about our developmental students and
want to see them succeed. Could you or someone in NADE please
address these questions for me:
1) Does NADE have an official position statement or any feelings
about whether it is better to have a combined center or separate
centers. I will be honest and say currently our learning center is
heavily used and since where the math department is located is far
from the place where the proposed combined center would be we
are concerned students will stop using it. But if there is evidence
this does not happen we would like to see it
2) Does NADE have an official position statement or any feelings
about whether developmental studies courses should be organized
as their own department or be part of math, english, etc.
3) I noticed on your web site that you recently had a conference
and at the conference was a session on "The developmental math
home - developmental studies or math department" Looks like it
was a panel discussion. I would love to contact some of the panel
members to ask them the same quesitons. Is there any way I
could get an e-mail address for one or more of these panel
members (Barbara Jur, Irene Duranczyk, Kelly Goldnetz, Carolyn
Haase, Frances Lichtman, Timothy Mc Kenna)

I thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me. As I
said above we are struggling with these issues and would like to
know what you think. I have also sent this letter to some other
members of NADE because I am sure you are very
busy. But thank you again

Sincerely,

Pete Wildman