To All,
You are legally required to pay tutors for all required activities--if you require
them to participate in training, you must pay them to do so.  You may pay them a
"training rate" not less than minimum wage, but you must pay them.
We pay tutors $7.00 an hour to start and increase their wage by $1/hour the
following semester if they complete the 20 hour tutor-training course.  If they
choose this route, they are not paid for the training time.  If they choose to do
the minimum 10 hours of tutor training, they are paid for their training time, and
they are eligible for a $1 hour raise after they have completed 3 semesters as a
tutor.
Best,
Maureen Cronin