This reminds me. . .Our school had talked about trying to provide more
intervention with students who had been on probation for three or more
consecutive semesters.  We had talked about requiring these students to
participate in a mountain challenge event.  Basically, they would spend a
weekend out in the mountains discussing their academic goals and/or their
career goals and how they hope to meet those goals. (We require the same of
newly admitted at-risk students and it seems to work pretty well.  It gives
them a well established support network right at the beginning of school.)
This was meant to be a way to give probationary students an opportunity to
figure out their direction in life and help them find the support they need.
The discussion was nixed when we tried to figure out how we would require
these students to participate.  People had very differing view points on
requiring intervention for students on probation.  I thought it was a pretty
good idea if we could iron out all the bugs.

I'm curious as to how many of you require students to participate in the
program you have set up for students on probation; and if they do not
participate in your program what your consequence may be.  I do ask first
time prbation students to meet with me individually and we also discuss
their academic goals and their plan for improvement.  I continue to touch
base with them throughout the semester to make sure they are still on track.
I can get about 3/4 of the students on probation to participate. The
counseling center then offers group support every Thursday for students on
probation and after the first week only a handful of students keep
attending. The counselor would like to see this group required of all
students on probation so that more will attend.  He would like to see it
offered for credit.  I have mixed feelings about offering a course for
credit.  I'm curious as to what other schools do.
Thanks!
Rochelle

Rochelle A. Butler
Maryville College Learning Center