I'm not sure why anyone would be squeamish about requiring intervention. One
could put it in the language of a contract: we'll let you continue to attend on
probationary status if you agree to do the following...

I think choice is important, though. Students need to have some sense of
control, or they won't buy into the intervention at all.  I'm not sure how many
would choose a mountain challenge event, though. I gave probationary students
here an option (a few years back) to do a one afternoon high-ropes program, or
meet with me three times and attend several workshops. In spite of the
considerably larger time commitment of meeting with me & attending workshops,
not a single student had a glimmer of interest in a high-ropes program.

Fear of flying?

(We do, by the way, mandate visits to the academic skills office here for all
students on probation. What students don't know is that there aren't teeth
behind the requirement other than that if they don't improve their gpa & face
suspension at the end of the semester, they need to be able to show they made an
attempt at improving their work habits in an appeal--if they appeal. As you can
see, the penalty for not meeting the 'requirement' is watered down by a lot of
if's. And yet I still get something like 75% compliance.)

Steve