I have had success with a grid system:    Think of a graph axis

This gives four quadrants: one can be for grammar, one for general
direction following, one for demonstrated research/content and one for
correct documentation/format
You can put ABC etc in each  quadrant, or numbers then either just leave
it like that or consolidate to one grade.  Conceiveably you can use more
than four--students are told ahead of time what the quadrants represent.

I also create a check list sometimes and attach a filled out copy to
each paper--speeds up certain kinds of grading I think in any
discipline--mine is history. Students seem to appreciate the extra
feedback-
Mary